POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kepler Solar System - Take 5 [~165 kB] : Re: Kepler Solar System - Take 5: textures Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kepler Solar System - Take 5: textures
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Aug 2005 03:38:59
Message: <42f46913@news.povray.org>
"PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.42f364c1b9d4c122a196ebe30@news.povray.org...

> It's looking great, Thomas, but I agree the floor needs work. Also, I
agree
> with ST, about the grainy textures.

Thank you all!!

Texture problems:
Ceiling: what you see is a very small normal. However, the light was very
high, near the ceiling, so I lowered it substantially. The effect is now
very much what I see when I look up at my own ceiling.

Another cause was the radiosity. I fine-tuned it more and artifacts are now
much lessened or have disappeared.

Walls: Same as above for the stucco; the wood grain of the wainscots is more
difficult. It is a fine-grained wood that looks allright close up, but has a
grainy effect farther.

Floor: each individual tile is made up of five elements. The plugin was not
satisfying, so I wrote a new macro. Here too, the wood is rather fine
grained and looks fine from close up. However, the tiles were too small, so
I doubled their size, which doubled also the size of the texture. It looks
better now.

All in all, wood, especially the fine grained examples, is rather difficult
to get right at all distances. I shall post examples of what I mean.

Thomas